Ambat Chuka Or Green Sorrel Bhaji

(Link to Marathi Recipe)

I love all the leafy greens we get in India green sorrel, red sorrel, amaranth, fenugreek to name a few. There are various vegetables I know by Marathi names but haven't had time to find English names like Chakvat. I make sure I eat them as much as I can in my India trip. The bhaji I am going to share today is my most favorite. I love it for its sour taste as well as the bright green color. My mom's versions is my most favorite.

1 Bunch of Green Sorrel
1/8 cup Chana Daal (or toor+Chana daal mixed together)
1/8 cup Peanuts
1-2 tbsp Roasted Peanut Powder
Small piece of Jaggery
Kanda Lasun Masala (or Goda Masala + red Chili Powder)
Salt per taste
2-3 large cloves of Garlic
2-3 tbsp Dried Coconut
For Tempering - 2tbsp Oil, 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds, Pinch of Turmeric, Pinch of Hing, Few Curry leaves
Water as needed

Ambat Chuka 2

Preparation -
Pluck leaves and tender stems of the greens. Wash thoroughly, drain and chop.
Mix daal and peanuts, wash thoroughly in a pressure cooker that can hold chopped greens and daal together.
Add chopped vegetable. add about 1/2 cup of water.
Pressure cook until done.
Once pressure cooker is cooled down, whisk the vegetable and daal thoroughly.
Grind garlic and coconut.
Make tempering as usual in a tall utensil.
Add coconut-garlic paste, saute for few seconds. Do not burn it.
Add daal vegetable mix, salt, kanda lasun masala, jaggery.
Add more water if needed. Boil it over low heat.
Mix in peanut powder just before shutting the heat off.
Enjoy with chapati, jowar roti or rice.

Tips -
  1. It is a very sour vegetable so it s mixed with Taro leaves to make sabji like I have shared here. 
  2. Please boil on lower heat and try to make it in a taller pot as it splutters while boiling.



Comments

  1. Thanx for posting this rare recipe. Very tasty .now my kids started eating this bhaji.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my culinary adventures. I appreciate your visits and comments. Please stop by again.