Oat Bran Upma

(Link to Marathi recipe

I think it was about 2 years ago my better half had gone for a hike with his friends and I could not go because of some prior commitments. I was too tired of making anything elaborate for him to have after the hike. So I decided to make Upama for him. I sauteed onion, urad daal, chillies etc as a 'phodani' for my upama and opened the freezer to take out rava only to find out that its not enough to make Upama for 2 people. I had my mind set for Upama so I did not even see if we had enough Pohe for Kandepohe. I started going through the pantry. I saw bag of toasted Oat Bran. I usually used to boil it with milk to make kind of a porridge.  This time I decided to give it a shot.  In the first try it turned out really good. I have been making this ever since. Here is how I usually make it -



1.5 cup Oat bran 
3.5 cup water 
1 small onion finely chopped 
1/2 cup peas 
2-3 green chilies cut lengthwise 
2 tsp oil 
Salt per taste
1/2 tsp each - Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Urad daal
5-6 Curry Leaves
Cilantro finely chopped, Freshly Grated Coconut - per taste
1/2 lemon (optional)

Preparation - 
Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add Mustard and cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Add curry leaves and cut chilies and fry for a minute or so.  Add urad daal and fry till its golden brown.
Now add cut onion and fry it till it becomes translucent. Add green peas and fry for few more minutes.  Add water and salt, lemon juice, cilantro, grated coconut. Cover with a lid and let it boil. Lower the gas flame when water starts boiling.
Once water is boiled, add oat bran and stir constantly to avoid forming lumps. Mix it well and cover with the lid and let it cook for 5 minutes. Once again mix it with spoon and serve with fresh cilantro and coconut.

Tips -
  1. Oat Bran has more fiber and protein so it is more healthier option than the normal Upama.  
  2. You can add Chana Daal to the tempering if you like that crunch.

Comments